Out Reach – A Fund for LGBTQ+ Life in Monterey County
The Out Reach Fund is a field of interest fund of the Community Foundation for Monterey County established to improve the quality of life for LGBTQ+ family members, friends and loved ones.
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and others (LGBTQ+) people have been and will continue to be an integral part of our diverse community tapestry in Monterey County. To help address the needs of our local LGBTQ+ residents, the Community Foundation created Out Reach in 2005. Its goals include:
- Increasing public awareness of local LGBTQ+ communities and issues,
- Generating new support for these local communities,
- Strengthening the organizational capacity of LGBTQ+-serving agencies.
An Advisory Committee undertook a comprehensive study with input from over 300 LGBTQ+ and allied community members in 2005. Among other things, this study found that:
- our local LGBTQ+ community is resilient, demonstrates a drive to address important issues, and has a strong interest in community building;
- there is a paramount need to support LGBTQ+ youth in Monterey County, and;
- a form of LGBTQ+ drop-in resource center and gathering place to better access community resources and information would be highly welcomed.
Out Reach is an opportunity for individuals, corporations and foundations to pool resources and make positive changes through grants to nonprofit organizations serving Monterey County’s LGBTQ+ communities.
What the fund supports:
- Arts and culture – Creative forms of expression that raise awareness about LGBTQ+ issues and promote dialogue toward increasing LGBTQ+ self-identity and understanding within the larger community.
- Awareness, Education, and Civil Rights Initiatives that foster a climate of acceptance and ensure equal rights and opportunities for LGBTQ+ people of all ages, ethnicities, and socio-economic levels.
- Youth and Seniors – Programs offering safety, counseling, and support for LGBTQ+ young people and seniors through social activities, education, mentoring, resources, and opportunities to build relationships.
- Organizational Capacity Building Efforts that strengthen the ability of LGBTQ+-serving community organizations to achieve their mission.
- Health and Mental Health – Services that guarantee safety and respect and are sensitive to the needs of LGBTQ+ youth, adults, and seniors.
The support of the Out Reach Fund allowed the youth leaders behind the Latinx LGBTQ+ Film Festival to spearhead the organization of the event and maximize efforts to increase visibility for LGBTQ+ individuals in the Monterey County area.” – Sam Gomez, Services Manager, The Epicenter
Learn more and get involved:
Vice President of Philanthropic Services